But then, over the last two weeks Heather and I's cars have been towed under two separate occasions. No we were not parked in fire lanes. No we were not double parked in the middle of the road (like many people) ... we are simply victims of authorities deciding to randomly enforce stupid rules.
1) Heather's car gets towed FROM OUR RESIDENT LOT, after she forgot to hang her resident sign from her rear view mirror. Yes, that is a failure on her part ... but consider the circumstances.
- She has been parking there since December.
- She has never NOT had her window hanger before.
- The towing company told us they "know which cars belong and do not belong (obviously not).
- There are a couple cars that had expired window hangers from back in November that were parked there until last month.
2) Last night I parked my rental car from work on the street in front of my building (where I park my rental car all the time). This time, I got a spot that is directly in front of our door, which is usually taken for obvious reasons.
This morning, the car was towed. I look around and notice a sign "No Parking 12 AM - 6 AM". Again, I was in the wrong ... but how in the wrong was I? Take into account:
- There has been the same car parked there for 2 weeks at a time prior to this.
- I have parked there a few times before.
- This rental car happened to have New York license plates.
Of course, after further review. My car was not towed because it was illegally parked. It was towed for "Safe keeping", as the passenger side window was smashed RIGHT outside of the club downstairs. So I am still mad at Hartford, but for a different reason.
Stay classy, Hartford.