Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The power of a compliment

On my way to the parking garage this morning, I observed one of Hartford's "Business Improvement" personal hard at work.  His shirt said "Cleaning District", which I assumed meant he was one of the guys that I normally see in the mornings sweeping up the cigarette butts and buffalo wing bones every morning from the night before.  Honestly, the cleaning guys do a really good job around our building.  There is A LOT that goes on, and for them to do what they do, the way they do it, every day is amazing.

While walking past him, he gave me the "good morning" nod.  I said good morning, and then I stopped.  I turned to him and said, "You know what ... I see you guys out here cleaning all the time.  And I think you guys do a great job."  There was a pause ... and then he said "Thank you very much".  I saw a smile on his face, and as I started to walk away I heard him continue "That really means a lot".

A friend of mine once told me that everyone is an artist in what they do.  Not necessarily in the traditional sense of an artist that draws, paints or sculpts ... but an artist in the sense that they put their passion and love and commitment into what they do.  It can be a painter ... an architect ... a newspaper writer ... or a cleaning guy in Hartford.  Having passion and love for what you do helps take that task from simply a task, to a thing of pride.

Be an artist ...

No comments:

Post a Comment