Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Yesterday

So yesterday I FINALLY got around to bringing Dad's clothes to the Goodwill.  Some people told me I should have taken some of his stuff (particularly belts, khaki's, and button up shirts that did not fit me) to a consignment shop to try to get some cash for them, rather than just dropping them off at the Goodwill store.

It wasn't a real secret that my father had some problems with alcohol.  One thing he never really told anyone except me was that there was a point in his life where he had to take advantage of community programs to help get back on his feet.  One of those programs was utilizing a very small amount of money to buy new clothes so he could get employed.  I am positive he went somewhere like a Goodwill store to find his new clothes.

Dropping off those clothes at the Goodwill is my way of making sure Dad gave back to where he came from.  Who knows?  Maybe there will be another father having similar struggles that goes to the Goodwill and buys a pair of Dad's pants and shirt for a job interview.  If the items were in a consignment shop, they probably would have cost more, and taken more out of his budget ... My coupon/savings happy father would not have had it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment