Sunday, December 11, 2005

Hop on Google Transit ... (but only in Portland)

Tired of gas prices but too confused by your local bus and train system to get around? I know a HUGE reason I drive all around DC when I recruit there is because I don't want to take the time to figure out the MetroBus system.

What if there was a way to figure out exactly which lines to pick up and when? What if all you had to do was type in where you were starting, and where you want to go, but using public transportation (rather than your own car like MapQuest, Yahoo! or even Google Maps)?

Well ... Google is working on bringing it to you! Currently piloting in Portland, OR ... Google Transit makes it possible for you to type your starting and ending location, as well as the time you are leaving ... and it outlines a point by point path for you to take your local mode of public transportation.

Google Transit will revolutionize Online Mapping. Ultimatley it may even help the environment by encouraging all of us to use mass transit over our own personal vehicles. I know I would travel more by bus or train if I didn't have to spend the time figureing out schedules by myself.

Currently Google Transit only works for Portland, OR ... but I sure can't wait until New York, Boston (and hopefully one day Hartford) end up available on there too. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment